PLANS to demolish an old showroom and garage in Woodlands, Glasgow and build 65 flats have been approved by councillors.
The six-storey development on St George’s Road, at Grant Street, near the M8 will have a mixture of one, two and three-bedroom flats. There will be two ground floor commercial units and car parking beneath a rear garden deck.
The existing buildings include a former garage with art deco frontage on Grant Street built in 1927, an adjoining garage building set back from Grant Street that was built in 1935, and a more modern car showroom facing St George’s Road that was built in the 1960s.
The structures were most recently occupied by Arnold Clark although the earlier ones were originally car garages for the Armstrong Siddeley Motor Company.
In recognition of the historic motoring connection, a feature artwork formed with recessed brickwork will be created on an exposed gable wall that faces north on to St George’s Road where the adjacent building is only single storey.
A report by planning officials stated: “The proposed brick detailing would be sculpted to represent the emblem of the Armstrong Siddeley Motor Company; a sphinx-like figure re-created in profile on the gable.
“This approach could create visual interest to what would otherwise be a blank gable while not prejudicing any future development of the adjacent site.”
Councillor Malcolm Cunning welcomed the artwork proposal. He said: “Armstrong Siddeley was one of the greatest names in British automotive industry between the wars. This is a really good idea.”
The commercial units will front St George’s Road and permission has been given for a range of uses — shops, professional services and food and drink.
The development will have 56 car spaces and 81 bike spaces.